Walnut Avenue in downtown Santa Cruz is one block west of the Hinds House and has many lovely Victorian homes.
215 Walnut: An Eastlake cottage designed for Fred O. Hihn and his wife by Damkroeger and Saunders in 1890.
219 Walnut: An elaborate and well-kept Queen Anne cottage built for District Attorney Carl A. Lindsay in 1895. The corner turret and the intricate beveled glass entry make this home unique.
235 Walnut: A lovely 1870 Italianate home with a symmetrical floor plan and a pretty split pediment. Its twin resides on Taylor St.
240 & 244 Walnut Ave: A pair of Queen Anne octtages built for Fred O. Hihn in 1885. 240 Walnut has elaborate detailing and an unusual turret over the entry and does not match its twin structure as it was altered after a fire.
249 Walnut: Built by F. A. Hihn in 1870 for his daughter Katie after she married hardware merchant William T. Cope. The Cope House is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture at the corner of Walnut Avenue and Chestnut Street. It once had a glassed-in porch and conservatory on the Walnut Avenue side that was removed.
304 Walnut: A prominent 1893 Queen Anne Victorian on the corner of Walnut Avenue and Chestnut Street designed by Edward Van Cleek. Built for William Douglas Haslam, the front yard is dominated by a large Bunya Bunya tree.
316 Walnut: Built in 1892 for merchant A. Morey, this Eastlake style Victorian has two sibling structures in town at 315 Walnut Avenue and 342 Washington Street.
Mission Street above downtown Santa Cruz is one block east of the Hinds House and is a wonderful place to see grand Victorian homes.
207 Mission: A magnificent Stick Eastlake mansion built by and for Calvin W. Davis in 1883 and designed by his brother, Charles Davis.
210 Mission: A 1895 Queen Anne home with unusual timbered detailing on the forward gable.
211 Mission: Designed by Calvin Davis and J.S. McPheters in 1886, this vernacular style home was built as the parsonage for the Methodist Church that was once next door.
222 Mission: A Gothic Revival home built in 1867 for merchant Louis Schwartz. The home has a lovely pediment window in the front gable and distinctive barge boards on all the eaves.
217 Mission: A Queen Anne Victorian with Colonial Revival touches designed by Edward Van Cleek in 1904 for Louis Wessendorf. This house sits on the site of the original First Methodist Church building. That structure was moved one block away and was converted and to a home that still stands at 123 Green Street (shown below)
123 Green Street: This lovely building began life in 1850 as the Methodist Episcopal Church up on Mission Street. When the new church was built is was moved to its current location and then added onto over the years.
105 Sylvar: On the corner of Sylvar and Mission, this 1887 Stick Eastlake home has a two story veranda that was added to the home around 1907.